With winter approaching entertaining your kids on a bad air or too cold day is a never ending battle! Finding the balance between screen time, outdoor play, homework and free play is insane! Sometimes it seems like more work than necessary, i mean if I'm cooking dinner and cleaning the house and my kids are content watching descendants 3 for the THOUSANDTH time should i really be that worried?? According to the healthy kids website the answer is yes, I should be worried! Studies show that too much screen time can cause the following problems.
- *Your posture can get worse.
- *Your eyesight can deteriorate.
- *You can strain your wrist, thumb and elbow.
- *You can have problems with your sleep.
- *Your social skills can suffer.
- *Your body can store more energy than it uses.
Suggestions to Reduce Excessive Screen Time in Children
- For children younger than 18 months, avoid the use of screen media other than video-chatting.
- Parents of children 18 to 24 months of age who want to introduce digital media should choose high-quality programming, and watch it with their children to help them understand what they’re seeing.
- For children ages 2 to 5 years, limit screen use to 1 hour per day of high-quality programs. Parents should co-view media with children to help them understand what they are seeing and apply it to the world around them.
- For children ages 6 and older, place consistent limits on the time spent using media, and the types of media, and make sure media does not take the place of adequate sleep, physical activity and other behaviors essential to health.
Thank you for your interest. For questions or comments, please use the information below. We look forward to hearing from you soon.